Raise awareness all year longLast Updated:
The 2016 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month is drawing to a close. This is our fourth year, with hopefully many more to come. Each year there is a new theme, new challenges, and new information to share. In 2012 we began by Making Migraine Visible. The next year we Unmasked the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. By 2014, we were all Dreaming of a World without Migraine and Headache Disorders. Then last year, we worked to Inspire Hope in those living with migraine and other headache disorders. Now we have challenged you to Rule Your Headache Disorder.
Don’t box up your purple ribbons just yet!
Migraine and Headache Awareness Month isn’t like a holiday that you observe only once a year. There’s no need to pack away your purple ribbons, t-shirts, and pins. In fact, the only way we’re really going to make progress is if we keep talking about Migraine and other headache disorders. Instead, think of it as a launch party designed to energize you for a full year of raising awareness.
Obviously, we’ve got a long way to go.
Your social media accounts have been bombarded with images and facts about headache disorders. Maybe you’ve even joined in a time or two. Yet there are still many people who don’t see Migraine for what it really is. For most people, the idea of disabling headaches that don’t respond to a couple of aspirin remains a mystery. And although we’ve made a lot of progress, the dream of a migraine-free world is still out of reach. Millions are frustrated. They’ve given up hope, walked away from doctors, and are grasping at anything that promises a bit of relief. There are still way too many people who have given up trying to take charge because they are met with resistance at every turn and don’t know how to break free.
Here are some ways you can spread awareness all year ’round.
- Wear purple a lot. When people ask what’s up, tell them all about migraine!
- Join the American Headache and Migraine Association.
- Recruit others to join, too!
- Volunteer for or participate in Runnin’ for Research on October 8th.
Don’t live close by? Maybe your health prevents you from running or walking? No problem. Each location has the option of registering as a Virtual Runner. Help the cause of migraine research without leaving the comfort of your own home!
- Download the Migraine Experience for your Android or iPhone mobile device and order your Google Cardboard viewer to let healthy friends and family experience a taste of what it’s like to live with migraine.
- Purchase awareness apparel from Bravelets, CafePress, or TeeSpring.
- Do you shop at Amazon? Use this link to start every shopping experience and Amazon will donate a percentage of their profits to AHMA to help raise awareness, provide patient support & education, a raise money for migraine research.